initctl -- Consistently uses a large amount of CPU cycles

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 06:55:58 GMT 2008

Hi again,
      This should be my last note for the night.
      Doing performance tests with upstart and initctl I noticed that
initctl reload eats up a ton of CPU cycles compared to initctl start
or initctl when running in a while [ 1 ] bourne shell loop. We
currently use initctl reload for getting new jobs loaded into upstart
init; however, I was wondering whether or not:
1. The method of getting new job definitions was the best choice.
2. Code coverage tests have been performed on upstart.
3. Optimizations have been discussed or planned for future minor
revisions of upstart, s.t. better methods could be employed "under the
covers" to reduce upstart's resource cost.

Thanks again,
-Garrett