common script ?

Mildred ml.mildred593 at online.fr
Fri May 4 00:49:41 BST 2007

Hi,

In some upstart script I wrote, i have multiple script (for example
post-start and pre-stop). I would like to be able to define variables
for all those scripts at the same time. And why not define shell
functions for all scripts.

So i would like to suggest a new section that can start for example
with "common script" and that would be executed before each script. So
I could merge common code.

For example:

common script
	source /etc/profile # have initctl directory in our PATH
	EXECNAME=/usr/bin/mydaemon
	source /etc/conf.d/$MYDAEMON # define $OPTS, $PIDFILE variables
end script

pre-start script
	# compatibility with old init
	test -f $PIDFILE && kill $(cat $PIDFILE)
end script

post-start script
	initctl status $MYSELF | get_pid > $PIDFILE
end script

exec $EXECNAME --foreground $OPTS

post-stop script
	rm -f $PIDFILE
end script

In fact I don't use pidfiles, except on rare cases. But that could be
useful on certain startup script where it is not as simple as exec a
daemon.

What do you think of that ?

Mildred

--