New profiles spec

Alex Smith alex at alex-smith.me.uk
Sun Jun 3 20:48:01 BST 2007

Ok, I've written a *basic* implementation of this, with some features
missing. The code is here for anyone who wants to play with it:

https://code.launchpad.net/~alex-extreme2/upstart/profiles

Don't forget to read READ_ME_PROFILES before using ;)

These are the current limitations:
  * Will only load the profile named 'default'
  * Doesn't support changing profile at runtime
  * Can't change profile on kernel command line
  * There seems to be a noticeable performance hit, probably caused by
looping through the profileentries NihList every time a job wants to be
started by an event. I'm working on this (switch to NihHash ;))
  * Doesn't support wildcards for job name matching, i.e. You can't put
this in a profile: disable tty* (I know this isn't in the spec as of
writing this, I was gonna put it in and forgot)

I'll work on these issues over the next few days.

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Smith