how to start services as another user

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Thu Apr 26 17:48:22 BST 2007

I'd be curious to investigate some of the issues with not running a
per-user instance of upstart for this. Actually, a lot of this brings up
interesting questions about other uses for upstart: such as using it for
a desktop session, etc.

The idea of general purpose daemon that can manage a group of processes
hooked together with their own event pipeline is interesting. Upstart
could be used for a desktop session, or chroots.

Sort of overlaps some with D-BUS activation and pals of course. I'm not
really a fan of D-BUS activation though. =)

Anyways, just ideas.