start on A and B

Gabriel C nix.or.die at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 22 00:02:41 BST 2007

Mildred wrote:
> Le Sat 21/04/2007 à 18:15 Michael Biebl à écrit:
>
>> The complex-event-config branch [1][2] is a try to implement this kind
>> functionality.
>>

> Thanks, i saw it but I hoped the main branch was able to handle that.
> Because as the spec said, there are still problems to be fixed.
>
> Is there many people involved ? It doesn't looks like it ... In fact
> I'm now using upstart as primary boot system so i want it to work. I'm
> translating standard boot scripts with upstart but it doesn't works
> very well yet (still have scripts to translate).
> Then I hope my work will be usable for any ArchLinux installation.

Well I think you don't realize you have to setup 'your own' repo and and
maintain a lot packages yourself  *forever*
( including the initramfs scripts , udev and a lot other core packages )
while 'ArchLinux' devels won't support upstart.

Means :

port *every* rc script to upstart ( and no compat mode won't work on
ArchLinux )
fix a lot daemons to work with upstart
replace the rc.conf with something may work with upstart
etc etc

A lot work ..

> Also, is it possible to have clearer boot messages. i mean instead of
> the verbose default upstart output (approximately 5 lines by service a
> startup) i would prefer tu have a something better with colors. For
> example on startup having a single line per service with either OK or
> FAIL tags (in green or red) to tell if it was successful or not, and
> the same when services stop.

Add wrappers for start/stop ? just check retval ...

> Mildred

Gabriel