[ANNOUNCE] upstart 0.3.0 released

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Wed Oct 18 14:55:23 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 22:56 -0400, Sean E. Russell wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 October 2006 14:36, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > Here's a release to kick off the process of further development; the
>
> I'm not familiar with the Upstart numbering scheme.  Does this mean that
> further development will be 0.3.x leading up to 0.4.0?

I figured this question would come up sooner or later; upstart follows
the following versioning scheme:

	MAJOR.MINOR.REVISION

A change in MAJOR indicates backwards incompatible changes, a change in
MINOR indicates new features and interfaces and a change in REVISION
indicates simple fixes.

When MAJOR is 0, the following scheme is instead used:

	0.SERIES.RELEASE

SERIES indicates a particular "line of thought" or aim in development,
and RELEASE indicates a particular release in that line.  No particular
effort is made to keep backwards compatibility at any point, other than
maybe at SERIES boundaries.

A higher number always indicates a later release, the usual step is 1,
however this may be increased if the version includes more than the
usual number of changes (e.g. 0.2.1 was followed by 0.2.5)

The aim of the 0.3 series is to perform some major changes to the design
as have been discussed, while the next series may be 0.4 (or 0.5, 0.50,
1.0, etc.), this doesn't mean I'm following an odd/even development
cycle -- it just means that the aim of the 0.3 series has been reached.

> > next several releases can include big changes and shouldn't be deployed
> > but is perfect for considering deploying in the next release of your
> > distro.
>
> Can you please clarify this?  Does this mean that the 0.X.0 releases
> are "stable", and that 0.X.[n>0] are development?

0.X.Y is development; however some series are more development than
others.  The 0.2 series was stable, for example, and intended for
deployment in edgy.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UpstartDesignChanges

> > If there's anything in particular you want to see in the 0.3 series,
> > then now's the time to make sure it's filed somewhere.  File a bug or
> > specification, and begin discussion on this list.
>
> Of the things I've brought up, I'd like to see multi-event dependencies, since
> these are a bare minimum for creating a compatability layer for Gentoo.  I
> *think* conditional dependencies can wait a bit longer, but I'm not certain.

The best start would be to write a wiki page and try and describe the
problem and solution as best you can, we can then get a spec written for
that and end up with a simple "step-by-step" guide to implementing it.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?