[Ubuntu-ZW] Deploying a Web based application in Linux?

Samuel Mukoti samuelmukoti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:48:10 GMT 2010

You're right! Its very possible.  I normaly just use "checkinstall"

Its an excellent tool that allows you to create DEBs and RPM packages with
just a few commands.  If you need more control then you can use "dh_make",
"dpkg-buildpackage" and the nice debian tools.  You will be able to put
dependencies on you package like "php5, apache2, php5-mysql, mysql-server"
all depends on what database and PHP module you're making us of in you app.

You could also download some DEB SRC packages like "phpmyadmin" or
"squirrelmail" and use those a templates for builting you packages - those
are good examples web apps that are being distributed as DEB or RPMs

Best regards,

Sam