[Ubuntu-ZW] Can someone please help me fix problem with ATI Radeon HD 4570 graphics card

Kalpesh Thaker luminary06 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 06:58:52 GMT 2010

Hi,

I have managed to load ubuntu 9.10 on a ATI 4570 gpu based laptop previously
without any issues...
However, i think that the lockups could be related to the drivers that
control other hardware functions
within the laptop itself.

Alot of modern laptops have issues with ACPI in ubuntu. My laptop for
example has a problem where,
it refuses to come out of standby mode..and i have to hard reset it to get
back into the OS (this is a known
issue with my laptop north bridge chipset) and sometimes if the screensaver
is running and i move the
mouse, the LCD brightness and wireless LAN stop working!

I dont think your problem is related to ATI drivers.... because even when
you updated them..it still had the same issue.
Rather i think this could be related to other hardware incompatibilities.

You may want to try the following in this order:

1 - Search for the problem, to verify if it is a known issue on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

2 - Update your laptop BIOS to the latest version - Check the ASUS website
for an updated system BIOS for your laptop model...
manufacturers often release these system updates to correct all sorts of
hardware issues.

3 - After checking/updating your BIOS, re-install ubuntu, and then
immediately connect to the local repository and install
all available ubuntu updates. (http://www.ubuntu.org.zw/node/6)

If your issue still persists after following those steps, i recommend
submitting an ubuntu bug report, as it may be a specific issue with the
model
of laptop you have..

Have a look at the following pages for information on submitting a bug
report:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

regards

kalpesh.