Configuring Postfix in Ubuntu 8.10 Server

Neil neil.coetzer at nationalit.co.zw
Wed Apr 8 16:14:40 BST 2009

Hi Tafadzwa,

First off, it would depend how you guys are connecting to your ISP to
receive mail and how exactly it would need to be configured. Generally, to
get an idea of postfix your best starting point is the Ubuntu forums... or
the official Ubuntu documentation on www.ubuntu.com. You will find
considerable documentation on postfix on both sites. If you want to make
life easier the first time around and avoid doing everything at the CLI, you
could also install webmin which will provide an administrative web interface
and might make life easier.

You'll need some info from your isp though (or whichever server is upstream
from yours), to determine how incoming mail will be delivered to your
server, etc.

I was previously using squirrelmail but some of the other guys on the team
suggested RoundCube, which I'm also very impressed with. Either way, there
isn't really much to do when configuring either of those to work with
postfix. The web mail stuff could actually be running on an entirely
different server, and all you do is point it in the direction of your smtp
and pop server. The web interface simply provides... well an interface, to
the web server, and all authentication is done at the time that the
connection is made. So when you log in to web mail the web interface is
simply using those credentials to log into the imap server and display your
mail folders, etc. Sending mail is straight forward unless you're using smtp
authentication or something.

Also worth noting, when you install Ubuntu server, if you select the mail
packages, a lot of the configuration can be done there and then for you.

Hope that helps a little. I would advise going with the online documentation
and then shout if you get stuck anywhere.

The official Ubuntu documentation is a good starting point:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/postfix.html

There's also heaps of community-provided documentation.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Neil