[ubuntu-za] PDF documents on Govt websites

Jan jan at verslank.net
Sun Jul 23 17:24:39 UTC 2017

Hello all,

After years of battling with pdf docs on SARS and other SA Govt
websites, I checked out the policies of the webste developers:
http://www.gov.za/services/about-website

This prompted me to write the following mail to the website developers:
(electronic at DoC.gov.za)

*/Good day,/**/
/**//**/
/**/Access to pdf documents on South African Government websites
(specifically SARS and the Dept of Home Affairs) has been a problem and
a bone of contention among Internet users for some time. /**/
/**//**/
/**/Specifications and requirements for pdf readers to open these
documents appear to exceed those of virtually all other providers of
online pdf documents. /**/
/**//**/
/**/At the same time, the developers of these sites are optimising their
systems around the unpopular, outdated and pathetically inadequate
Internet Explorer browser, the use of which has declined from 67% in
2017 to only 9,6% in 2016 and the decline continues:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers/**/
/**//**/
/**/I fail to comprehend why it has to be necessary to resort to such
draconic requirements for documents that should be available to the
general public while, at the same time, optimising browsing requirements
around an archaic web browser. /**/
/**//**/
/**/There is something terribly wrong somewhere and it is time to locate
and sort out the problem. /**/
/**//**/
/**/Yours truly,/**/
/**//**/
/**/G J (Jan) Greeff /*

Perhaps some of our forum members would like to follow up with your own
experiences and comments?

Kind regards,

Jan