[ubuntu-za] Talk at NWU's "Open Access Week 2016"

dave.apter dave.apter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 05:39:29 UTC 2016

Hi,  I use QGIS a LOT!  Mostly for geological exploration; more recently for neighborhood watch information tracking/mapping. QGIS is every bit as good as ArcGis which I previously used for~20yrs.I integrate QGIS with R and PostgreSQL (another great open SQL example). Hope the presentation goes well. Viva open systems! Regards, Dave Apter

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Benico van der Westhuizen <benicovdw at gmail.com> Date: 2016/10/25  21:55  (GMT+02:00) To: Ubuntu South African Local Community <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] Talk at NWU's "Open Access Week 2016"
O S.!t yes ... I did forget about QGIS !

It's because it is one of those which I installed numerous times - but haven't used yet.
I find that my learning is the best when I have some practical problems to solve.
Do you have a practical project to attempt with QGIS (map of all the restaurants in Parys ?)

Arduino practical: My fridge started to freeze the food.  In stead of buying a new thermostat I'm using an arduino with a LM35 and relays to control it now.  I later found that a R 2-00 (analog) thermistor works MUCH better than the R 35-00 (binary) LM35.  Added benefits are that there is a 200s waiting time whenever there are power dips.  The electric power in Parys is still on overhead poles.  When the wind blows - the poorly maintained wires are being moved around by branches of trees - and we have all sorts of disco effects in the 220V.  Excellent conditions for electric stuff !