[ubuntu-za] Old(ish) Laptop

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Sat May 7 17:40:18 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I though a report-back might be in order. in my original post I ask for
advice on what flavour of Ubuntu i should run on this 2006 Lenova Thinkpad.
I received a lot of good advice and encouragement.

When 16.04 was released I downloaded the 32 bit Ubuntu ISO file and created
a live USB drive. The darn thing just would not load. (I forget the details
now - it had one problem that I Googled my way around but then immediately
ran into another problem). So I downloaded the Xubuntu ISO nd ran it in
live mode for a bit. Everything seemed to work OK so i took the plunge and
installed it.

I am very pleased. The old computer runs like a spring lamb and is faster
now than it has ever been. (Not all that surprising seeing that it has been
running Windows XP all this time). The only time that I notice that it is a
bit slow is on boot. I have loaded Gimp and Scribus and they work fine.

A few problems. There is my mouse problem (a different mail so as not to
confuse threads); the new Software management and installation application
just does not work (it won't even load), but I did sudo apt-get synaptic
and that problem was solved. Font manager does not seem to want to work but
I am not worried about that.

On the positive side I have learned how to put the window controls on the
top left side where I have learned to expect them and have little adaption
to make. I am quite happy with Xfce although I would prefer Unity and may
try and install it some time.

Xubuntu is a neat little system and I am very happy.

Incidentally - I am using owncloud to sync my work in progress files
between the notebook and my main desktop and that is very convenient. I
recommend that too.

Bill