[ubuntu-za] NEWS: Main Linux problems on the desktop, 2015 edition

Søren Aalto soren.aalto at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 11:43:32 UTC 2015

So...I wanted to chime in that "nothing is really ready for the
desktop"...I've
become more of a generalist...and Linux, OS/X and Win 7 and 8.x have all
managed to annoy and delight me in strange and unpredictable ways.

And then the article basically says as much "I want to make one thing
crystal clear - Windows, in some regards, is even worse than Linux and it's
definitely *not ready for the desktop either*."  And then goes on to list a
lot
of my bugbears.

On the upside -- due to a burglary, I had to dig out an ancient Lenovo
Celeron laptop (the R2999 Hello Kitty model from a few years back).
Whatever version of Ubuntu was on it was now too old to run apt
without annoying surgery, so I put on 14.04LTS.

And am pleased to report that this laptop now:

- succesfully connects to our WPA2 enterprise hidden SSID campus network.
  (and I did it myself...whereas the last windows laptop I connected, my
   attempt to figure-it-out-myself failed, and I had to religiously follow
the
   *23 step procedure* that is on our campus portal.)
- the Broadcom WiFi interface has stopped acting as a WiFi jammer for
  other devices on the same SSID/channel?
- the ethernet interface now works...and stays working.

These were major issues I had ~2 years ago when I put the thing in
a closet.  If I upgrade from 2GB RAM, I might be able to use it for
useful things...

...I does have a USB wifi dongle in it as well (due to the previous
WiFi jammer issue).  I will use this machine as a automated port/
vulnerability scan on our various SSIDs.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Hilton Gibson <hilton.gibson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In this regularly updated article, which is without doubt the most
> comprehensive list of Linux distributions' problems on the entire Internet,
> we only discuss their main problems and deficiencies (which may be the
> reason why some people say Linux distros are not ready for the desktop)
> while everyone should keep in mind that there are areas where Linux has
> excelled other OSes: excellent package management, multiple platforms and
> architectures support out of the box, usually excellent stability, no
> widely circulating viruses or malware, complete system reinstallation is
> almost never required, besides Linux is extremely customizable, easily
> scripted and it's free as a beer.
>
> *Again, let me reiterate it, this article is primarily about Linux
> distributions, however many issues listed below affect the Linux kernel as
> well.*
>

> http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

Soren Aalto
Director: ITSS