[ubuntu-za] Updating

Adrianna Pińska adrianna.pinska at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:22:18 UTC 2014

On 8 May 2014 13:06, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:
> I keep getting this message when updating packages on Ubuntu 14.04, what to
> do please?
>
> W:Failed to fetch
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/upubuntu-com/mobile/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages
> 404  Not Found
> , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
> used instead.

As the error is telling you, a URL that you're trying to download
packages from does not exist.

If you backtrack by removing parts of the URL (until you get to
http://ppa.launchpad.net/upubuntu-com/mobile/ubuntu/dists/) or look at
the PPA's webpage
(https://launchpad.net/~upubuntu-com/+archive/mobile), you will see
that this PPA only has packages for Precise and Oneiric.

This error isn't preventing any of your other repositories from
working right now, but since it's pretty useless to keep this PPA
around you should remove it from your list of repositories. You can do
this on the commandline by looking in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/,
finding the file for this PPA and removing it. There's probably also a
way to do this in your GUI package manager, if that's what you use.
Afterwards don't forget to apt-get update again.

If you're still using either of the two packages provided by this PPA
you should check whether they are now being provided by a different
repository or have been deprecated.

Cheers,
--
Adrianna Pińska