[ubuntu-za] Fwd: Ubuntu Server

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 15:25:37 UTC 2014

Hi Christiaan,

Thanks for your reply. As I said in my original post, I am stepping into
unknown territory here and appreciate all the help that I can get.

As I understand you, I need a host name in the FQDN format of
name.domain.local At the moment my host name is simply cairnmarsh. What
"domain" would I use?

I do have samba installed on the server and my Windows network is working
fine - I simply connect by typing \\cairnmarsh is the "run" window and it
connects.

I can also use PuTTy (both from Windows and my Linux desktop) to open a
terminal window on the server.

My other problem is simply how do I mount the server from desktop Linux? In
Windows I simply map the sever to a drive. (Although I still need to work
out how to get the Windows machine to do all that automatically).

Thanks,

Bill