[ubuntu-za] Lubuntu - is it possible to save video somewhere (as in Jaunty from temp in Files)?

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Sun Feb 9 13:57:57 UTC 2014

On Feb 9, 2014 11:07 AM, bradley at cloete.za.net wrote:

> http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
>
> It's a Python script, don't be put off by the name, it does most sites,
> including Apple trailers.
>
> Unless you not just trying to get hold of a video from a site?
>
> > I've tried to understand some advice from forums - but I cannot work out
> > how where to find temp saved flash video for easy saving?
> > Does anyone know where and how to do this if possible - alternatively -
> > what's the next easiest method?
> >
> > thanks
> > Shawn

Hi,

For easier installation you can run:
sudo apt-get install youtube-dl

An example to download a video:

youtube-dl --prefer-free-formats --title URL

--prefer-free-formats downloads the video in free formats like webm

--title sets the file name to the title of the video and appends the youtube video id to the file name.

If you encounter an error remove the switches and try:

youtube-dl URL

Have fun!

Bruce