[ubuntu-za] Fwd: GNU turn thirty!

Frans de waal meesterarend at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 11:24:31 UTC 2013

On Sep 28, 2013 12:12 PM, "Marius Kruger" <amanic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 September 2013 11:40, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:
>>
>> Great Wesley, thanks. But why the "Happy hacking" greeting at the end?
In my limited perception, hacking is a very negative connotation.

> When freesoftware/gnu people in general talk about hacking it has nothing
to do with the illegal operations most people think about when they hear
that word.

> --
> A hacker is someone who enjoys playful cleverness—not necessarily with
computers. The programmers in the old MIT free software community of the
60s and 70s referred to themselves as hackers. Around 1980, journalists who
discovered the hacker community mistakenly took the term to mean “security
breaker.”

> Please don't spread this mistake. People who break security are
“crackers.”

> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Hacker
>
> --
> ✝ Marius
>
> --
Thanks for that info Marius I have read about the "cracker label" once long
ago,  but most of this is fresh info to store for future use :-D