[ubuntu-za] NEWS: 5 reasons LibreOffice and GIMP will not replace Microsoft Office and Photoshop

Hilton Gibson hilton.gibson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 10:52:50 UTC 2013

Thank you Navdeep!!

I look after linux systems (mostly Ubuntu) at Stellenbosch University
library. Same problem as you about familiarity of the GUi with normal
users. I am only allowed to run 10 computers out of about 250 on Ubuntu for
GUI happiness reasons. Try as I do, to impress the OSS community that the
desktop GUI is important - no luck - it seems that the OSS community has
some kind of "mind lock" about not using a friendly GUI.

How are we to create mass adoption without friendly GUI software for normal
users?
Android has done a great job on smartphones, so how do we do it on the
desktop where a normal users first impression is usually bad GUI software?

On the 10 pc's I run Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity that is radically stripped
down and installed Kingsoft office software. Now the librarians are happy -
sort of.

Cheers

hg

On 28 September 2013 11:49, Navdeep Singh Sidhu <
navdeepsingh.sidhu95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> (PLZ forgive my English & Lengthy mail ) I disagree with the person but
> not completely. He is right about newbies bcz people in transition from MS
> to OSS will find it difficult to learn all the tools. They have to face
> difficulties to perform simple task. But i think that's not a problem. Bcz
> each software has it's own approach to deal with problems & perform various
> tasks. But this is also true that User point of view is important.  Like if
> you are creating a tool for normal day to day usage it is important that
> you include User Friendly environment and give high priority to it in your
> SRS or in design. And you also have to keep in mind that your product will
> be used by various kind of users having different level of knowledge &
> experience of using gadgets.
>
> In case of libre & gimp i think artwork and interface needs some
> improvement so that user can operate them easily.(But that my personal
> point of view i'm not forcing my view to anybody).
>
> Also in case of MS vs libre or Photoshop vs gimp. most people around me
> use MS & Photoshop (believe me 99% of them using pirated software) that
> means if i have a problem related to MS or PS there is high probability
> that i will get solution for my problem easily.(People here in india use
> internet to access Facebook & gmail only lolz :-)), but if i have require
> any package of linux i can't go to anybody and ask him to give deb package
> of that software in pendrive. Of course i have to use internet for that.
>

> But that's my learning attitude because i want to learn about new things &
> technologies. Not everybody have that attitude most of them just want to
> solve their problems & perform their tasks so they just use the simple
> tools which are available in abundant around them (it never matters pirated
> or genuine).
>
> Let me share my experience with you. I'm pursuing my M.Tech (C.S.E) from
> GNDU, amritsar. From last few years internet in our hostel is not working
> (due to lot of technical issues also hackerz). So most of the boys use
> internet at Library's Lab. Believe me internet access at our very good we
> get 10MBps downloading speed from google or any other better server. there
> are 25 computer in our lab (haha that doesn't mean that we have only one
> lab, but thats the only lab where you have open access to internet). last
> year a junior came to me told me that faculty has banned usage of pendrives
> in lab. then i contacted head of technical dept (he is very generous guy&
> he is incharge there) at library &  asked him the reason for banning the
> usage of pendrives. he told me that windows got crashed after 2-3 days
> usage if you use pendrive on computers. At a glance i give him the
> alternative i asked him to use Linux on all the computers. Although he is a
> technical guy & he has a good experience with UNIX he told me that he used
> Linux in year 1999 & 2000 but it didn't impressed him. Then i told him that
> [...]

*Hilton Gibson*
Ubuntu Linux Systems Administrator
JS Gericke Library
Room 1025D
Stellenbosch University
Private Bag X5036
Stellenbosch
7599
South Africa

Tel: +27 21 808 4100 | Cell: +27 84 646 4758
http://library.sun.ac.za
http://za.linkedin.com/in/hiltongibson
http://staff.lib.sun.ac.za/~hgibson/docs/cv/cv.html