[ubuntu-za] Webcam issues

Miles msdomdonner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 09:54:36 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net>
To: Neil Oosthuizen <nlsthzn at gmail.com>, Ubuntu South African Local
Community <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] Webcam issues
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:47:58 +0200
Mailer: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101
Thunderbird/24.1.0

On 14/11/2013 10:00, Neil Oosthuizen wrote:

> On 14 November 2013 11:33, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:
> > Dear Ubuntu community,
> >
> > My webcam/Skype issue has become a bit of a hardy annual. When I visit the
> > forums, the feedback that I get is that the problem is long solved and I
> > must go away, but it is not.
> >

> > Jan
> Hi Jan,
>
> Firstly I was saddened to see you say that you visited the forum and
> was told to go away :( I however see many attempts from you to solve
> the problem on "Ask Ubuntu" so I assume that is what you tried and not
> the official Ubuntu Forum (www.ubuntuforums.org) so at least I take
> solace in the fact that it wasn't actually "the forum" that asked you
> to go away...
>
> It would really help to know what you have tried and what you haven't.
>  Did you follow the advice you got the first time around etc? I see
> many threads on Ask Ubuntu about this issue (in example
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/126765/skype-video-not-working-after-upgrade-from-11-10-to-12-04)
> and various others... not many with advice however :/
>
> I don't use Skype (in fact I don't even have a Linux compatible webcam
> so I will be off little help further I expect.
>
> Cheers
> Neil

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your reply. I am sorry that I have saddened you, did not
intend to sadden anybody.

And, no, I was not asked to go away in so many words, but I did read
that the question had been solved; which gave me the message because
obviously I was there because my problem was not solved.

I have been to the site you provided the link to, I was there previously
and did everything prescribed there to no avail. I went through the
posts again, for some reason my line 4 read

Exec=env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U

so I changed it to

Exec=bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
skype'

but no difference.

I subsequently also checked on
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/219 but here my files were
exactly as shown.

As far as I was able to, I followed up and tried all advice given.

Kind regards,

Jan