[ubuntu-za] Chaos Pilots, ZA-FREE, 100 in 1 Day, Design Capital 2014

ubuntupunk at gmail.com ubuntupunk at gmail.com
Thu May 16 09:29:18 UTC 2013

Dear Ubuntu LoCo Cape Town

We are looking for hackers, coders and technologists to participate in an
event on the 25 May. SEE:https://www.facebook.com/100in1daycpt?fref=ts

The dream is to create a communications fish, actually a school of
creatures either ready for the day, or seeded in the run-up to Cape Town
Design Capital 2014, which will enable public interactions in virtual space
to occur between diverse communities within and around the City of Cape
Town .

We have located the Open Street Event https://www.facebook.com/
events/519243408138870/?fref=ts

as one of the hubs and there are several other potential hubs around the
City in a project which is being navigated over the next 10 days and in the
runup to the Cape Town Design Capital 2014.

The possibility of free public teleconferencing in a virtual space created
from scavenged hardware, mobile phones, headphones, wire mesh, wifi
networks and ordinary computers or tablets exist in what is essentially a
redesign of our public phone system, which exists like a nerve membrane.

We want to encourage a hacker ethic in which interventions around
communications occur in a neighbourhood and community focused exercise that
has the potential to heal the legacy of apartheid geography in the Cape
Town metropole.

Best Regards

David Robert Lewis
ZA-FREE