[ubuntu-za] Low-power communications device

Johan Mynhardt johanmynhardt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 10:27:51 UTC 2013

On 13 March 2013 08:34, Frans de waal <meesterarend at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2013 7:36 AM, "Johan Mynhardt" <johanmynhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>
> Hi
>

>> I'm not into electronics at all so this is outside of my expertise.
>>
>> Is there any direction I can be pointed to with regards to embedded,
>> low-powered communication devices?
>>
>> I was thinking something like the cheapest basic handsets one can
>> find, and do something if possible,
>
> Now that is very spesific :-P
>
>> but my knowledge ends a bit before that.
>
> I think it all depends on what you want to do...  the asterix guys would
> know more about ip phones...
>
> Then the vodafone android phones are also rather nice and cheap...
>
> If you want to go much cheaper I think some stores have cellphones from
> R29... though not much to do there...
>
> So in the end all. Depens with how much you are willing to spend an what you
> want to play with... some phones might also be able to run Ubuntu though you
> would have to research on which and how all getting to be a lot of fun.:-D

Thanks Frans,

Yes, I think I should have added that I'm interested to have headless
modules, so what they can display is of little importance actually.

--
Johan Mynhardt

Netiquette Guidelines: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
+2772 432 8108 |johanmynhardt[at]gmail.com
http://nuvolari.co.za | http://johanmynhardt.co.za/
http://mythumbprint.mobi/johanmynhardt