[ubuntu-za] A new Laptop for Ubuntu without Windows...

Casper Labuschagne casper.labuschagne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:16:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies!

I really think this is an issue for some Open-Source activism - a
whole industry forcing consumers to use and purchase the add-on
product of one specific company, namely Microsoft even though better
alternatives exist in the market.  Does anyone else feel this way?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 04:31:28PM +0200, Hilton Gibson wrote:
>    And finally:A http://linuxpreloaded.com
>    On 25 January 2013 16:30, Hilton Gibson <hilton.gibson at gmail.com> wrote:
>      And: http://www.system76.com
>      On 25 January 2013 16:26, Hilton Gibson <hilton.gibson at gmail.com> wrote:
>        There is:A http://zareason.com
>        On 25 January 2013 16:23, <juank at vodamail.co.za> wrote:

They all appear to be companies outside of South Africa.
Unfortunately I suffer from the "South-African curse" - I can
purchase online provided I can pay by direct bank transfer, otherwise
I have to hunt for someone with a credit card to pay on my behalf.

Well, for once I have the cash to buy a decent, brand new laptop
though my only real option for a laptop without Windows will be to
purchase a second-hand laptop, Linux runs brilliantly on the older
Pentium Duo based laptops that could be had cheaply.

>          I think this has came up sometime ago. The is someone or a way. Not
>          sure, maybe someone will comment that knows.

Yes, I checked my mail in Mutt before I posted this, and the solution
was to buy the Ubuntu-configured Dell Vostro laptops available in the
USA.

There are Ubuntu configured laptops from Dell, Hewlett Packard, Asus
and others available in Italy, Germany and elsewhere in EU.  It
does appear that Microsoft has a complete monopoly over the English
speaking world though.

Maybe it is time for an Ubuntu branded laptop that can be sold retail.
I would guess that a company such as Asus would be prepared to sell
OEM products in bulk for re-branding.

Thanks

Casper

          Casper Labuschagne