[ubuntu-za] Home directory

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Sat Jan 19 18:43:05 UTC 2013

Clearly there's a problem in som of your configuration files. The best advice is to delete some configuration files, on reboot Ubuntu will create new ones.  I don't have my PC with me so I can't tell you which ones.

Here's what I can suggest...

1. Modify fstab to mount your old home dir as /home2. On reboot you will now see both your new and old home dirs as /home and /home2 respectively.

2. Copy each of the files and dirs in your new home did to your old sir. But first rename the dirs you'll be overwriting in your old home did so you can recover. Don't copy obvious data only dirs like 'documents' and 'music' as these do not contain any configuration files.

This will result is that you will replace all faulty configuration files.

Hope this helps
Charl

Sent from my HTC