[ubuntu-za] Latest Virtualbox for Ubuntu 13.04/12.10/12.04/Linux Mint/other Ubuntu derivatives - Noobs on Ubuntu, Mint and Debian, HD Wallpapers, Tutorials

Wesley Werner wesley.werner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 16:49:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 10:30:46AM -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:
> On 08/05/2013 07:24 AM, Trevor Hughes wrote:
> >Are there idiot proof instructions for setting KVM up? Virtualbox is a
> >click away from installation and so easy.
>
> The problem with idiot-proof instructions, is that we always come up
> with a better idiot. :)

As long as the rate of growth of the latter does not surpass the former
;)

Trevor it usually involves installing qemu and kvm from the repos. For a
GUI client I use qemu-launcher. Then all you need to do is make sure
your bios has hardware virtualization enabled, and find the path of kvm
(which kvm) and type that path into the qemu-launcher setting for "path
to qemu". kvm==qemu but takes advantage of your hardware virtualization
so it runs natively on your processor and is much faster.

An easy way to check if your CPU supports virtualization extensions is
to grep them out from the cpu flags:

  cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'vmx'

will show a cpu flags line for each processor that has the extension.

It can't get any simpler than that :)

--
sent with mutt