[ubuntu-za] Desktop settings issues in 13.04

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Sun Apr 28 16:04:41 UTC 2013

Hi All.

I installed a clean install of 13.04 today, but kept my Home folder in a
separate partition. When I first booted into 13.04, everything worked
fine. Then I set my pre-existing Home folder as the system default ...
and the trouble began.

Basically, as shown in the screen-capture below, the screen doesn't
refresh from the logon screen. However, this is only the first of a few
problems.

Here are the other, more serious issues.
1) I do not get a context menu when I right-click on the desktop.
2) I cannot change my theme or background.
3) If I attempt to minimise a window, everything freezes until I "show
all windows" or enter the desktop switcher. Sometimes, not even this
works, and I have to force a restart of the machine.

I have reset the compiz settings to default. I have deleted the hidden
unity tweak settings folders in my home folder. None of this seems to
help at all.

I really hope that someone can help me out here.

Oh, yes, I was running a relatively fresh installation of 12.10 prior to
the upgrade.

Robin