[ubuntu-za] Redo backup. An impressive restore

Wikus wikus at cheetah-microsystems.com
Sat Apr 27 09:42:14 UTC 2013

Hi again guys , just wanted to write something about this very handy tool.

Redo is an image tool that boot's up from a live cd and images your
drives or partitions.
Why I was impressed this morning:

My current HDD layout is 4 partitions:
/
/home
swap
/DATA

The 4th one is a huge 1.7tb partition where loads of data is stored.
Videos , music , software etc.
I never image that one though and only image the first 3. The DATA
partition I just do normal backups as it's too big
to image.

Ok so this morning I made a fresh image to an external hdd of the first
3 partitions.
After that I continued as normal and then ran into the ATI drivers thing
that broke my system beyond booting.

So now I needed to restore. I though ok well I will just restore /
Booted the live cd and I couldn't restore just root. I had to restore
the whole image that I made.
Now I was down as I though "Ok , whole partition information is going to
be rewritten. Good bye data partition."
I though I will have to re-create and format the data partition again
(not in the image remember) and worse , copy back the whole
ton of data again from my normal backups , loosing loads of time.

So I restored the whole image ( which contains / , /home , swap )
Rebooted. Back is my system and home perfectly as expected , but to my
surprize , there is the DATA partition
unaffected. Went into it and all data is there !!!

This really impressed me that Redo could rewrite the partition info to
restore / , /home and swap , but leave the 4th partition unaffected and
unchanged. And all of that without having to specify advanced option.
Just chose the basic restore.
I have used this tool to restore countless Linux and Windows full
drives. But this is the first time now I used it to restore only certain
partitions on a drive.

This is a really handy tool guys. And can save you tons of time with a
restore and is a lot more user friendly than Clonezilla
Well worth checking out.
http://redobackup.org/

- Wikus

--