[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu as a Disruptive Technology

Tim Johnson tim at cybersmart.co.za
Mon Apr 15 16:45:58 UTC 2013

  On 15/04/2013 16:09, Lee Sharp wrote:
> On 04/14/2013 11:43 PM, Ramu Iyer wrote:
>> I want to make a conscious transition from Windows to Ubuntu. At the
>> office, everybody is required to use a Windows laptop because that is
>> the standard IT policy. As a Project Manager, I use the following
>> applications:
>
> You asked a lot, and talked about a lot, but I am only going to cover
> a small amount...
>
>> * MS Outlook (for email)
> Thunderbird or Evoloution.  However, neither really to the MicroSoft
> shared calanders correctly.  If that is a critical business need, you
> have more work ahead of you.
>
>> * Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
>
> Libre Office does not have anything like Viseo.  The closes I have
> found is yEd, which is FreeWare, not FOSS.  It also can not import or
> export Viso documents.
>
>> * Microsoft Project
>
> I do not use these so you will have to pick one.
> http://www.ganttproject.biz/
> https://live.gnome.org/Planner
> http://www.taskjuggler.org/    (Requires Ruby, and RubyGems)
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openproj/  (Stale)
>
> Good luck!
>
>             Lee

Hi All,

LibreOffice includes Draw which is a fair equivalent for Visio at a
medium level of complexity.  If your requirement is flow charts and
diagrams, it will be plenty.  If you need to design circuit boards, then
it falls far short.  Inkscape will, however, cater for almost all
drawing requirements.  Neither have the range of clipart offered by
Visio, but that can also be solved by using public domain equivalents.
  As Lee has pointed out, yEd is probably your best equivalent.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/projectlibre/?source=recommended
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/projectlibre/?source=recommended> is
the updated OpenProj link.  I have used Open Project for some relatively
simple projects with no major issues but its interface is very old.
  Taskjuggler may be ideal with your apparent love of emacs.

I've also found that with the rise of Android and the commonality of
portable computing devices, web-based solutions in COMBINATION with
Ubuntu provide very elegant options.  Google Drive and ZoHo are just 2
examples which eliminate the requirement to be locked into one OS.

In the case of enforced, non-negotiable use of Microsoft products,
please look at VirtualBox as a fast, seamless environment for running
almost any Windows-based software within Ubuntu.

On a philosophical note, very often the kind of change that you are
referring to requires an output analysis (what do I/we produce?) and
then a dramatic change (scary stuff!) to work better.  Trying to match
tools one for one may lead to rejection of options which may produce
exactly the same desired results in a different way.  Obviously there is
a learning curve, but in my experience, it's more of an unlearning curve
and a slightly different approach that will achieve the change.

The tablet and phone versions of Ubuntu are a long way away from stable,
but the idea is exciting and disruptive.  I will certainly bet on success.

I also wish you luck, but logic and courage are far more useful in the
endeavour you plan.

Tim

--
No viruses... I use Ubuntu 12.04