[ubuntu-za] Proxy Server

Bruce Pieterse dev at otq.za.net
Mon Apr 8 09:20:22 UTC 2013

On 08/04/2013 11:09, Wayne Abroue wrote:
> Hi Jako
>
> My first reply would be WHY would you want or need a alternative?
> squid has all the logging one would ever need. Oh, and it works.  If
> it's logging with pretty graphics you want, there are many to choose
> from. Start here http://www.squid-cache.org/Misc/log-analysis.html
>

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM, jako <dormakorp at vodamail.co.za
> <mailto:dormakorp at vodamail.co.za>> wrote:
>

>     Hi everyone
>
>     I was hoping that someone on the list knows an alternative to SQUID
>     for a Proxy server to share a internet connection with Users and a
>     LOG funtion to monitor the interner that is used and by whom it is
>     being used.
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     --
>     Jako Smal
>     IT Manager
>     Dormakorp
>
>     Tel : 051 821 2428
>     Fax : 086 575 4273
>     Email : dormakorp at vodamail.co.za <mailto:dormakorp at vodamail.co.za>
>
>     "He who loves practice without theory is like the
>     sailor who boards ship without a rudder and
>     compass and never knows where he may cast."
>     --Leonardo da Vinci
>

>     --

Hi,

You can also use something like DansGuardian[1] which sits on top of
Squid but is a little bit easier to setup and manage. Documentation from
the Ubuntu Community is available [2], as I have only set this up on a
CentOS box in the past.

Hope this helps! :)

[1] http://dansguardian.org/
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DansGuardian