[ubuntu-za] Microphone not showing

frans dormakorp at vodamail.co.za
Tue Sep 11 05:52:22 UTC 2012

On 12/09/09 13:45, marvel chigama wrote:

> My built in microphone is not showing in ubuntu precise hw can i make
> it show in the input tab of sound settings

I seem to have the same problem... I was thinking I did not have a
microphone installed at one time... but it gave feedback on our sound
system, and I muted it... after your mail I checked and my microphone
was missing too, I'll try to take a look whether or not I can fix the
problem, but in the mean time you might want to check the command line's
(use terminal)  volume controls, that fixed allot of my problems
previously. not sure about the name though maybe someone on the list can
chip in there? Also you might check if an external mic does work, the
sound are usually better.

also it would help if you can tell us where you check the hw for the
microphone and what system you have.

For instance
I have a Packard Bell Dot 2 S Netbook, the mic did work once, so I know
it should have one I cannot find the mic in the sound settings control
under the input tab... I have not yet Googled because I never needed it
before(I prefer to use an headphone or hand held mic) and thought maybe
some of the great guys here know a few short cuts to get it to work,
since it now bothers me. :) (Did I Mention the people on this list are
the greatest and best and...) OK its not necessary to brown nose like
that I know :P.

--
  When working on a computer you have to know enough:
  To fake what you don't know.

Frans de Waal
IT Manager/
Dormakorp