[ubuntu-za] Root user in Ubuntu

Nico Michael(iBurst) nick.michael at ptaisp.co.za
Sun Sep 9 11:45:35 UTC 2012

Hi Stefano
Thanks for your useful info

l want to log in as root

Kind Regards

Nico Michael
http://www.arduino.org.za

On 2012-09-09 10:42, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> Hi Nico (2012.09.09_08:40:53_+0200)
>> *I need to work as root user *
>> I need to enable the root user and set the root user password in my
>> Ubuntu workstation in a VM
>> I could do sudu su but I need to login with full root as the root user
> There's no difference. sudo -i gives you a root login shell.
>
> If you want a graphical login as root, that's not recommended and would
> be a bad habit to get into. root can do anything, and lots of the
> programs that you'll be running in X aren't particularly careful about
> what they stomp on.
>
>> *How do I set root password*
>> I know is solaris you would use a passwd command to set the root
>> user's password
> Same on Linux. To set root's password, run sudo passwd
>
>> *What is root home directory*
>> I also know in solaris the root users home directory in not
>> /home/root   what is it in Ubuntu Linux?
> /root
>
>> **The root or sudo user cant see programs pathed for non-root users
>> how do I fix that*
>> Also I have seen certain program  ran when you logged in as non-root
>> user which  did not get pathed and did not run on a Centos Server
>> when you logged in as root
> What does it mean to be pathed?
>
> Typically, normal users have a PATH like this:
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
> And root will have:
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>
> If you want sbin in your path, just add it in your ~/.bashrc:
> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
Where is $PATH persisted and can I have this $PATH to give the sudo/root
user the same access to these or do l have to add another path for root user

>> *I need to run Sun Java not the non-industry non-standard Java
>> Ubuntu provides*
>> One of the problems all professional Java developers have with
>> Ubuntu is we need to use the Industry standard so our programs work
>> Ubuntu tends to install its own "Non-Industry non-standard" Java
>> Which we always have to remove and then it becommes a mission to get
>> Sun java to work
> However, Oracle's Java license doesn't allow Ubuntu to redistribute
> Java. So ...
I am a Java developer so I have to use Sun Java l have no option

> Try this PPA
> http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html
> As mentioned here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java#Oracle_Java_7
>
>> *To get Sun Java running on Ubuntu*
>> I remove the "Ubuntu supplied non-standard Java" then I edit
>> /etc/profile and add JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.0.0.30 and
>> then export JAVA_HOME
>>
>> *Java does not run as the sudo or root user*
>> This works when I run      java -version                      I get
>> the right version of Java
>> how ever when I run         sudo java -version            It cant find Java
>>
>>   which file and or older do you put path information  so the Root or
>> SUDO user can find the Java ?
> bash only reads ~/.profile and /etc/profile when you are logged in
> interactively (sudo -i).
This is useful info so i need to persist my JAVA here

> Still, you shouldn't need to set JAVA_HOME at all. It usually isn't set
> on Debian/Ubuntu, because we have /usr/bin/java in our PATH.
I have to set the JAVA_HOME variable as my servers and JAVA IDE's need
this variable to be in scope for this to work
even my Apache AXIS web service client generator need this variable

--

Kind Regards

Nico Michael
http://www.arduino.org.za