[ubuntu-za] Wireless card (D-Link DWA 525)

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 10:55:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Raoul Snyman
<raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za> wrote:
> On 22/10/2012 21:58, Wayne Abroue wrote:
>>>
>>> The card is a “D-Link Wireless N 150 Desktop PCI Adapter” with model
>>> number DWA-525.
>

> My wife's PC has the same card.
>

>> Quick ref says, this makes the card happy, even later versions. Have
>> you tried it.
>> http://steveswinsburg.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/how-to-install-a-d-link-dwa-525-wireless-network-card-in-ubuntu-10-04/
>

> This works. You have to recompile the driver every time you upgrade the
> kernel, which is a pain, but as long as you keep the source handy, it's a
> relatively painless procedure that takes about 5 minutes.

Thanks Raoul and all the rest of you for the replies. I really
appreciate the help that I get from all of you.

The web site  http://steveswinsburg.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/how-to-install-a-d-link-dwa-525-wireless-network-card-in-ubuntu-10-04/
is very helpful and I followed the instructions carefully and now it
seems that I have the driver installed. I thought that my problems
would be over, but I still get nothing.

Perhaps I am just too ignorant:

What does Steve Winsburg (the author of that web site) mean by "launch
the Network Manager"? Who is the Network Manager? I can go to "Edit
Connections" and look at wireless networks available, but it does not
seem to see any. Manually putting in the correct SSID does not seem to
make any difference.

Do I have to do something to get networking active using the wireless
card? (sudo modprobe rt3562sta seems to work correctly).

Is it possible that there is another driver blocking access? I have
blacklisted rt2800pci.

Is it possible that the wireless card is not working properly? If I do
a "lspci", the system does see the network card. What else can I do to
test it?

Wesley mentions that I have to have the linux-headers packages
installed. I have linux-headers-generic AND linus-headers-generic
3.2.0.31.34. Is that what I need?

BTW - I am accessing the wireless network from Windows so I do know it works!

Thanks again,

  Bill