[ubuntu-za] Interview with Richard Stallman

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 13:21:45 UTC 2012

On 26 November 2012 15:12, Gavin <netmatters at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 November 2012 13:39, Marius Kruger <amanic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 26 November 2012 10:33, Leon Gert Marincowitz <lmarincowitz at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> So here's a question after listening to him, is Ubuntu part of the open
> >> source or Free software. Because RMS says there is a distinct
> philosophical
> >> difference?
> >

> > The philosophical difference is weather you think it is morally wrong to
> > distribute non-free software and making people aware of it or not.
> > I think Ubuntu is definitely on the opensource side ie. much more
> pragmatic
> > and not absolutely refusing to put anything non-free in the distro.
>
> Expect [except ?] enticing us to buy from Amazon right from our Desktops!!
> YAY for us!!!

ehm. not non-free as in price but non-free as in not respecting the users
freedom to use, share, modify and redistribute all the software that comes
with the distribution.

I've been trying to get the Amazon thingy to work, but I've never gotten a
list of books I might like in the dash :(  Maybe upgrading doesn't activate
it or I'm missing some package..

--
✝ Marius