[ubuntu-za] 12.10 gripes

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Fri Nov 2 22:04:30 UTC 2012

On 11/02/2012 04:06 PM, Wikus wrote:
> Afternoon all ,
>
> I have installed 12.10 yesterday. (was on 12.04LTS).
> And I am not very impressed. Much slower than 12.04 and buggy and the
> Nvidia drivers doesn't
> work , which have always worked before on every version I used since 8
> on a number of different pc's.
>
> My question is , is my pc just getting too long in the tooth for
> Ubuntu ? Are they also aiming more at
> the high end pc's now ? Or is 12.10 just slow and buggy in general ?
> Are there guys with new pc's that have
> no issues ? Or are you also having issues ?
> My Specs:
> Core2duo 2.8ghz , 4gig ram , Geforce 9800GT 510mb
>
> My biggest gripes is the slowness , Nvidia not working , frequent the
> "System have experienced an error"
> messages , and files and folders jumping around while viewing them in
> nautilus.
> Are these a "the pc is too old for the os" thing , or is this version
> of Ubuntu just not good ? 12.04 ran without issues.
>
> - Wikus

I have just loaded 12.10 (64 bit) on a machine with a dual-core 2.8 with
only 2GB of memory, and must say that it runs beautifully - quick, clean
and smooth.

I also notice, that the issues with Gimp, that have had me using Mate
(GUI) in place of Unity on my 12.04 seem to have been sorted out, so I'm
about to do a fresh install of 12.10 on my own machine too.