[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 12.04 behaviour

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:54:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Peter Nel <fourdots at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jan Wrote:
>

>> Thanks Robin.
>>
>> I will do a memtest as suggested by Lee but frankly I think it is too
>> much of a coincidence, starting on two machines simultaneously when
>> installing 12.04. Neither of them had similar symptoms beforhand.
>>
>> Jan
>>

> Jan, it seems to me unlikely that both machines have this problem due to
> bad memory... Might the images/disks you got from your pc shop friend have
> been bad? This has happened to me before. It could be either the images
> were corrupted during download, or they were downloaded from a bad source,
> or even the disks or disk burner (or burning software) that could be bad.
>
> I did a straight forward upgrade on 3 pc's (desktop, netbook, laptop), and
> it's been a dream on all 3. Better performance, stable, etc.
>
> Good luck.
> --
> Péter Nel

Jan, I just had another idea. Is the system perhaps trying to access a hard
drive or something (perhaps you save your mail, or LibreOffice files on it)
that is not yet mounted? Perhaps a drive that is not the main filesystem
(like windows NTFS), or that is on separate or external drive?

--
Péter Nel