[ubuntu-za] Thunderbird and Gmail problem

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Wed May 9 15:46:08 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 04:10 PM, Tom Bamford wrote:
> On 9 May 2012 12:26, Wikus<wikus at cheetah-microsystems.com>  wrote:
>> Lo All ,
>>
>> I have an issue with Thunderbird and gmail. I have set up an gmail account
>> in thunderbird using defaults.
>> Didn't change anything to the settings. Then I notice an "all mail" folder
>> under gmail in thunderbird.
>> This folder keeps getting bigger and bigger with all mail that comes in. And
>> no matter what I do , that mail
>> stays there. I delete inbox and all other folders (including all mail) ,
>> empty the trash. But the mail just comes
>> back there. I force delete (shift-delete) everything , but the mail just
>> comes back automatically again.
>>
>> I check on my gmail in the web interface online and there is no such folder
>> there. So it must be on the pc.
>> I then see an option in TB's preferences to "Archive mail" in a folder
>> called "all mail". So I think yay I found
>> the problem. I dsiabled that setting completely. Restart thunderbird. But
>> still it happens. It is getting bigger and bigger
>> with all mail and it is gonna start wasting space. How do I get rid of that
>> "all mail" thing ?
>>
>> Screenshot:
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/i/?tehq1j4f2afr86h
>>
>> Ubuntu 12.04 , all updates
>> Thunderbird 12.0.1
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> - Wikus
Hi Wikus,
The key here is not the Thunderbird settings, but the settings for your
Gmail account. As Tom said, this has to do with using Gmail with IMAP,
rather than with POP. Open your Gmail Inbox in a browser, and then go to
settings - i.e. click the button with the gear, and choose Settings.
Select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP". In the settings on this page, set the
following:

  * Enable POP forall mail(even mail that's already been downloaded)
  * When messages are accessed with POP - Delete Gmail's copy
  * Disable IMAP

Following this, go back into Thunderbird, and access your account
settings for your Gmail account.
Make the following changes:

  * POP Server - pop.googlemail.com - Port: 995 - Security: SSL/TLS
  * SMTP Server - smtp.googlemail.com - Port: 465 - Security: SSL/TLS

Your Gmail should now download to Thunderbird, and be removed from your
Gmail online mailbox.
I use this all the time, and it works brilliantly. I even access my
Gmail on my Android phone as well, except I don't delete mail from the
online mailbox when I do, so as to avoid confusion.

Robin