[ubuntu-za] Vodafone webbook

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 29 20:29:19 UTC 2012

Hi tim (2012.07.29_21:16:01_+0200)
> Clone the current configuration and do a fresh 12.04 install. What's
> there to lose?

ARM devices tend to be more like embedded systems than normal PCs that
can just be imaged and re-installed. ARM machines will (hopefully)
mostly support UEFI some day, but for now, they all have different
firmware, bootloaders, kernels, and boot restrictions.

If you don't have media that it'll boot from, you need to know exactly
how to create it, so that you can restore your backup image.
The kernels are updated (AFAIK) with flash-kernel, so I'd look at it, to
see how the device finds its bootloader and kernel.

I know these devices are based on the i.mx51, so if you can find some
documentation for Ubuntu on other mx51s, that may be applicable here too.

Your best bet is to prod someone at Canonical who was involved in this
project. I don't know who was, but I can guess Ogra. And if it wasn't
him, he'll know who.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera