[ubuntu-za] ubuntu-za Digest, Vol 76, Issue 12

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:49:24 UTC 2012

but when i  tried javac command it gives following error

> root at S13:/home/nika/Downloads# javac
> bash: /usr/bin/javac: Permission denied
>
> so i remove it using
>
> root at S13:/home/nika/Downloads# update-alternatives --remove-all javac
>

> can i get some help?
>
> Regards
> Navdeep Singh

FYI Oracle's licence to distros (ubuntu?) for distrubuting JDK (sun-jdk)
has elapsed and canonical has removed it from the repository, however
OpenJDK is still there.
Since Oracle itself now considers OpenJDK the reference implementation for
java perhaps try installing openjdk instead? It may sort out your
alternatives issue as well.

$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
- or the newer -
$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

I've been using it with netbeans and haven't found any problems, even on
complex J2EE projects.

I can also see you're actively working in a root account, that might have
had an impact on the permissions of the installed components (did you use
the installer manually downloaded from oracle?); it will be a headache to
fix.
It's generally preferred to use 'sudo' and 'apt-get' to manage packages,
for instance to prevent this sort of problem.

Unfortunately we have to install netbeans with the installer downloaded
from netbeans.org (it seems not to be in the repo anymore) - but netbeans
is not your problem.

--
Péter Nel