[ubuntu-za] use less data on mobile broadband

Miles msdomdonner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 08:08:06 UTC 2012

Hi there all you guys that suffer under our cellphone
service providers costs. I was given a link to an older "how to"
But I will give what to do here for you. You can save up to 50% of
update/upgrade download costs. Here is the old link
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-in/2009-September/006049.html
The package to install is called debdelta and is in the repos, then you
need to edit its conf file so it sees ubuntu not debian. Like this
Old /etc/debdelta/sources.conf file with the edited version after

##This file contains configurations for  debdelta-upgrade ;
##this file may be overridden by a file   ~/.debdelta/sources.conf

##this file is divided in sections, that start by a line such as
#[section title]

##Each  section of this file  refers to a .deb archive,
##so each section must contain a line
#delta_uri="the URI of the archive of deltas for those .debs"

## To identify a .deb archive, you may use those options
## Origin , Label , Site, Archive (any combination of those);
## Origin , Label  are specified in the  Release file for that archive,
## (note that Archive is called Suite in in the  Release file);
## whereas site is the host. Some  examples
#Origin=Debian
#Label=Debian-Security
#Archive=unstable
#Site=ftp.debian.org

[main debian archive]
Origin=Debian
Label=Debian
delta_uri=http://debdeltas.debian.net/debian-deltas

[stable security debian archive]
Origin=Debian
Label=Debian-Security
delta_uri=http://debdeltas.debian.net/debian-security-deltas

##This file contains configurations for  debdelta-upgrade ;
##this file may be overridden by a file   ~/.debdelta/sources.conf

##this file is divided in sections, that start by a line such as
#[section title]

##Each  section of this file  refers to a .deb archive,
##so each section must contain a line
#delta_uri="the URI of the archive of deltas for those .debs"

## To identify a .deb archive, you may use those options
## Origin , Label , Site, Archive (any combination of those);
## Origin , Label  are specified in the  Release file for that archive,
## (note that Archive is called Suite in in the  Release file);
## whereas site is the host. Some  examples
#Origin=Debian
#Label=Debian-Security
#Archive=unstable
#Site=ftp.debian.org