[ubuntu-za] Home backup solution (suggestions)

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 08:03:41 UTC 2011

> percy langa wrote...
>
> Heya,
>
> As the subject says, I am lookin for a simple and non-geeky :) home backup
> solution? Must work on ubuntu and winblows (and, if possible, on Mac). Must
> do incremental backups.
>
> Some suggestions and experiences?
>
> Cheers!
> Percy

My sugestions are very simple, non-geeky (and obvious!)...

Has anyone mentioned Deja Dup (aka Déjà Dup Backup Tool)? - search "deja" in
Software Centre.

I have no experience with it, but i've read the name enough times such that
i know what it does, and was able to search for it by name.
[From Software Centre description]:
####
Déjà Dup is a simple backup tool. It hides the complexity of backing up the
Right Way (encrypted, off-site, and regular) and uses duplicity as the
backend.

Features:
- Support for local, remote, or cloud backup locations, such as Amazon S3 or
Rackspace Cloud Files
- Securely encrypts and compresses your data
- Incrementally backs up, letting you restore from any particular backup
- Schedules regular backups
- Integrates well into your GNOME desktop
####

You can also just try some of the other backup tools in Software Centre
(search "backup"), and see if any of them work for you.

Péter