[ubuntu-za] VIruses!!

Christoff Erasmus zs6jce at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:24:41 UTC 2011

On 3 Jun 2011 09:06, "Hannes Coetzee" <scorpking at scorpking.za.org> wrote:

>> <--snip-->
>>
>> If you're wondering why you've never heard about it, it's because it has
>> never actually gotten anywhere thanks to Linux's security model.
>> <--snip-->
>
> It could be possible to use a vulnerability in software to get something
like Domonio into the users home folder and if executed as a normal user
will give remote access to user files, log typed keys, open a remote shell
and so on. Basically not having root access doesn't make a difference
depending on what the attacker want. Some rootkits still go undetected for
example and making one undetected is not difficult. Uploading to sites like
gnome-look.org packaged in a deb is also easy and has been done before.

Not a virus. But a malious program. You should not be installing programs
from untrusted sources.

>Luckily virus/trojan creators focus on more popular operating systems

True, but its should not lul us into thinking its the only reason we are
safe.

> and Linux's security is way better than on Windows.

Agreed.