[ubuntu-za] Moving windows between desktops

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:33:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net> wrote:

> **
> Peter, I did upgrade but then I had a number of problems.
>
> 1. The system uses a new word processing program that I found a nuisance.
> All my (many) documents are in Open Office and there was forever a problem
> with extra commands to open documents.
>
> 2. The menu layout was totally new and confusing.
>
> So I eventually went back to 10.10, however, I could not transfer my mails.
> These are sitting in folders that I cannot access. This is my main problem
> with upgrades, the recommendation seems to be a clean install every time,
> but the system makes it very difficult (up to now impossible for me) to
> retain my e-mails.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jan
>

> On 12/07/2011 17:44, Peter Nel wrote:
>
> Jan,
>
>  Just an idea: would you consider upgrading to 11.04?

Ok, you did upgrade to 11.04 before?

The default office app would have been LibreOffice (which is a recent fork
from OpenOffice, due to Oracle who bought Sun that 'owned' the OpenOffice
project, became hard-@$$'ed about it; but has subsequently seen the error of
their corporate ways and donated OpenOffice to the eclipse foundation...
LibreOffice IS essentially openoffice, with more updates, and many of the
original OpenOffice developers)

But LibreOffice should look exactly the same, and work on exactly the same
files???
Unless you used some other program like AbiWord, or GnomeOffice...
Anyway, IF LibreOffice was indeed the problem, why didn't you just install
OpenOffice from Software Center...?

--
Péter Nel