[ubuntu-za] Moving windows between desktops

Peter Nel fourdots at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:30:06 UTC 2011

> From: Jan Greeff <jan at verslank.net>
>
> Please help with a small problem that I have - previously I could move a
> window from one desktop to another by a simple drag and drop operation
> in the desktop switcher. This facility seems to have disappeared or has
> been disabled and I cannot get it to work again.
>
> It is easy enough to click to go to the next desktop but sometimes you
> have two windows on one desktop, then it is handy to simply drag and
> drop the top one to the next available space.
>
> I am running on Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> Jan

Hi Jan,

Dragging windows from one desktop "workspace" to another is a compiz
feature, called "Edge Flipping", it's under the "Desktop Wall" effect.

I know the default in 11.04 does not have it enabled by default; they went
with compiz "Grid" + "Snaping Windows".
You have to install CompizConfig Settings Manager:
 $ sudo apt-get install ccsm

, and enable "Edge Flipping" on the "Desktop Wall" effect.

I still have the "Grid" effect enabled, but dragging windows to workspaces
above the current is sometimes troublesome.

Regards,
Péter