[ubuntu-za] Evolution Of A Linux User

Robert robket at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 20:50:40 BST 2010

> On 16 Sep 2010, at 2:12 PM, Lee Sharp wrote:
> > I will, however, go as far as to say that Windows does some things
> > better than Linux.  Centralized user management and roaming profiles are
> > a big one.
>
> User management was one of the points I had on my list of unique Windows
> features. While *nix supports it to a point, the implementation is badly
> lacking and difficult to implement.
>
> Not so sure about roaming profiles. Haven't ever seen them implemented
> nicely, and the same effect can be achieved more elegantly under Unix by
> using automount on the home directory. [1]
>
> - Matthew
>
> [1] Except it is only an elegant solution so long as the PC's remain on the
> same network. If you want to take your laptop home for the night, you will
> find your profile only roams as far as the office door...

I dunno if "Roaming Profiles" are implemented better at other
companies/institutions, but all I know is that at Stellenbosch if I logon on
a Windows computer it takes >5 minutes to "load personal settings". After
all that waiting I still face a desktop that doesn't remember that I use
Dvorak, that I put a firefox shortcut on my desktop, nor my browsing history
or ANY other settings. It doesn't even remember them if I logon to the SAME
computer.

When I log on to any of the Ubuntu PC's I'm greeted with my own background,
panels, shortcuts, keyboard layout, history, chat accounts, etc. etc.

But perhaps its just a good linux admin vs a bad windows admin :/

Robert