[ubuntu-za] Free VOIP Phone software

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Wed Mar 31 12:54:28 BST 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 13:28 +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 20:26, Quintin van Rooyen
> <quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 26 March 2010 20:18, Nico Michael (pta at ibst) <nick.michael at ptaisp.co.za>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi There
> >>
> >> I am looking for a  Free VOIP Phone software  to use to phone via a CIP
> >> server on the Internet
> >>
> >> preferably something that works on Ubuntu
> >>
> >> regards
> >> Nico
> >>
> > Ekiga?
> >
> > Not sure if it is available since Koala though. I used it in intrepid and
> > jaunty to divert our local VOIP in our office to my laptop, latency was
> > crazy though since the best codecs are paid for and Ekiga generally uses
> > FOSS codecs.
>
> AFAIK Ekiga was removed from the default install because Empathy now
> handles video/voice calls. You can still install Ekiga if you want it
> though but try Empathy - it handles video/voice over XMPP by default,
> and handles SIP if you install telepathy-sofiasip.
>
> My company's looking at deploying an asterisk solution, and we were
> recommended by the vendor to use Zoiper - http://www.zoiper.com/ -
> there is a free ($$$) option which is apparently good and works on
> Ubuntu. I haven't tried it yet though.
>
> Regards
> Morgan

Hi Morgan,

If you are looking to implement Asterisk in your company, I can highly
recommend getting in touch with a company by the name of Connection
Telecom (www.connection-telecom.com). The guy that runs the company,
Steve Davies, is a Linux (and much other) boffin of note, and is
recognised as probably the best Asterisk practitioner in Africa. Rob
Lith (Cape Town) is probably the best guy to speak to about what you
need. (no I don't get a kickback) They have offices in Cape Town and
Centurion.

+ 27 878 200 200 / sales at connection-telecom.com

Robin