[ubuntu-za] Global Jam Cape Town Poster suggestion

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Wed Mar 17 09:29:05 GMT 2010

maia grotepass wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, the new Ubuntu colours are Naartjie AND Aubergine.
>>
>> Canonical has nothing to do with it.
>>

> Hmmm not what I understood:
> "The strong use of Aubergine suggests that it’s more corporate
> messaging (Canonical is heavily involved). Orange is used here more as
> a highlight."
> quoted from here:
> http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/308

"The use of Aubergine indicates Commercial involvement of one form or
another, while Orange is a signal of community engagement."

I think Mister Shuttlepants is reading way too much into the new design.
The Orange tang is really bad on its own, since its been overdone by so
many corporates, Mango airlines is just one corporate carrrier which
immediately springs to mind. As far as I'm concerned its the other way
round. Brown always signalled community involvement and Brown is a lot
closer to Aubergine in a palette than Orange tang. (Here is my blog
posting http://indlovu.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/newlogobuntu.jpg)

I'm also a bit dismayed by the way the new logo reads as if its Ubuntu
TM. Ubuntu is based upon Nelson Mandela's Principle Number 1, its an
idea about freedom and humanity, and now we appear to be dropping this
all in favour of a very corporate looking identity. Let's just do
whatever we feel like doing. I just think the poster is a bit wishy
washy and needs to be a bit stronger. That's all.

Regards

DRL