[ubuntu-za] Global Jam - any suggestions?

Helge Reikeras helge.reikeras at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 08:58:20 GMT 2010

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:49:06 +0200, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)
<ethnopunk at telkomsa.net> wrote:

> Marco Gallotta wrote:
>> I was discussing this with tumbleweed when it first came up a couple
>> weeks ago. Since it's our first attempt, we should focus on a single
>> venue. I think it makes more sense holding it in CT. 27/28 March is
>> during UCT vac, with lectures resuming on the 29th. So the 28th may be
>> a better choice.
>>
>> I think translation and bugs would be good jams to go with. Many
>> people know a non-English language well and translation is pretty
>> easy, so it would be good for the beginners who want to contribute
>> something. The bugs jam would be a great opportunity for those with
>> limited experience to learn from the experienced on how to do proper
>> bug reporting. A talk on bug hunting and reporting by an experienced
>> user could be quite interesting if done well.
>>
>> I'd be keen to invite the more experienced group from our algorithm
>> circle group, although I'm not sure how many would actually pitch. If
>> we have some more-or-less solid details by tomorrow 5pm I can have it
>> announced at our society meeting.
>>
>> Marco
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:23 AM, maia grotepass <maiatoday at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions for the Lucid Lynx Global Jam this
>>> time round in Cape Town &/ Stellenbosch?
>>> There was a sentiment to have two, one in Stellenbosch and one in Cape
>>> Town. The GlobalJam is the weekend of 27/28 March.
>>>
>>> I am prepared to coordinate some beginner and intermediate activities
>>> (hardware checks and tricks and tweeks sessions). But I can only
>>> realistically do one venue. I am happy either in Stellenbosch or Cape
>>> Town. If it is in Cape Town, I can give a few people a lift through
>>> from Stellenbosch. Also I am happy to do some blog page an wiki
>>> updates to let the community know what we are doing, but we have to
>>> decide when&where.
>>>
>>> What do you think? It would be fun to meet and do some Ubuntu stuff
>>> together.
>>>
>>> Maia
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> Maybe the Ubuwiki Jam should coincide? I was planning for 20 March, but
> like so many things I haven't managed to pluck up enough energy, now
> it's official -- Global Jam happening. So we'll do it on the same
> weekend which is less confusing.
>
> Regards
>
> David.

Sounds cool. I should be able to give an newbie intro to fixing Ubuntu
bugs if there are people interested in that. Would be nice to identify a
list of bugs beforehand that should be easy enough to fix for a beginner.

--
Helge Reikeras
http://www.google.com/profiles/helge.reikeras