[ubuntu-za] Upgrade to new Ubuntu OS every 6 months?

Walter Leibbrandt walter at translate.org.za
Tue Mar 2 21:49:06 GMT 2010

Op 02/03/2010 22:54, Raoul Snyman het geskryf:
> Unlike all the others, I actually do an upgrade every 6 months...
Ditto.
>   - Upgrade LTS to LTS (i.e. every 3 years)

LTS (Long Time Support) versions are released every 2 years, not 3.

Now, to answer the original question...

As I've said, I also upgrade every 6 months and it has gone smoothly for
the most part - load shedding during your first upgrade is not fun if
you don't know what to do about it or where to get help. I do it because
I like seeing all the new and shiny stuff that the Ubuntu guys work on.
It is these things that keep Ubuntu (and Linux, more generally) a viable
competitor on as a desktop operating system. Also, in the never-ending
quest to achieve maximum productivity, I usually need the features of
the latest versions of the packages I use. Last but definitely not
least, there's the same reason that Raoul gave: I'm a (Linux) geek.

Those are my reasons for upgrading. If you have no desire or need to
upgrade, there's nothing wrong with staying with your current version.
Having said that, I would still suggest that you consider staying with
the latest LTS release in order to make sure that you can still find
support and that you can benefit from the newer technologies supported
(2 years in the tech world is a VERY long time).

The moral of the story is that there's no reason to be "afraid" of
upgrading. *If* something goes wrong (and they sometimes do), it's
usually easily fixable and you'll have no shortage of people in this
group that will be willing to help. :)

Regards,
Walter