[ubuntu-za] iBurst wireless modem

Leo Kruger krugerl1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 14:28:54 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM, David Nel <david.uberdiablo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Rob,
>
> I had the USB modem while living in JHB. I had it set up on 8.10 and it
> worked quite well.
> There is some terminal work involved to get it going but nothing major. I
> just googled around and found two sites listing a step-by-step on how they
> set theirs up. I remember it involved the iBurst driver and RPPOE (I think
> that's what it is called).
>
> Hope this helps.
> Dave
>

> On 28 July 2010 13:56, Robert Holm <robhholm at lantic.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am using the iBurst desktop modem with the ethernet connection and it
>> looks as though I will need to replace it.
>>
>> If possible I would like to switch to the USB modem as it is little more
>> than half the price of the desktop modem.
>>
>> Is anyone using the usb wireless modem and, if so, was there any
>> difficulty in setting it up?
>>
>> Advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> --

I've been using Iburst for a few years now, and the guide I use when I
need to setup a new machine is this one:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/82091-iBurst-and-Linux-setup

It involves a bit of command line work, but works every time. Don't
know about the panels and applets that are included in the driver
files. I just use the trusted commandline: 'sudo pppoe-start' and
'sudo pppoe-stop'.

If you have any trouble compiling the drivers, feel free to ask here
or at sourceforge at the ibdriver people. Very helpfull bunch of
people!

Tip: Remember to recompile the driver though for each new kernel.

Good luck!
--
Leo Kruger
email: krugerl1 at gmail.com