[ubuntu-za] ADSL Traffic

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 11:09:01 GMT 2010

I have 1 Windows, 1 Vista and 2 Ubuntu machines on my network. But more
importantly, my WLAN is open, meaning anyone can use it to go on the
internet. My cap was 3GB until Telkom increased it to 5.

A few months ago I exceeded my cap (only the second time in 4 or 5 years).
So I placed my ADSL router in "bridged mode", with one of my ubuntu machines
handling the traffic at PPP level. (It's always on). Now I can use tcpdump
on it to watch the traffic. I also use 'bandwidthd' to tell me which machine
(i.e. which user) is using how much bandwidth what time of the day and what
day of the week.

More technical details ?

Regards,
Nic