[ubuntu-za] Graphics card advice

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Tue Aug 17 17:48:46 BST 2010

On 08/17/2010 12:24 PM, Josh Brodrick wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Josh Brodrick
> <josholikestofly at gmail.com <mailto:josholikestofly at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         I also like nvidia a lot.  When it is time to buy, I generally look
>         here.
>         http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697.html
>           It gives a good guidline on where to start shopping.
>

> Hi Lee
>
> Sorry just one last question that comes to mind.
> I read your link above and after quite a bit of research I have decided
> to go for the nvidia geforce gtx 460.
>
> The thing is as it is a brand new card it needs newer nvidia
> drivers....the nvidia current driver in lucid is 195.36.24, but the card
> apparently needs 256.44.
>
> Whats the deal with downloading and installing newer nvidia drivers in
> ubuntu (I've only ever just used the current ones from System /
> Administration / Hardware drivers)  and the next question is how do i
> find what the current driver will be in the maverick release?

Not too good.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes#Incompatibility%20with%20nVidia%20upstream%20driver%20installer
  As to maverick, normally you can search packages.ubuntu.com but the
maverick repo search seems to be broken.  One way is to boot a Maverick
daily build LiveCD and see what it has.  Or you might ask on ubuntu
forums in the maverick testing section.  However, it may change the
final freeze in September.  I usually do not go that new... :)

			Lee